After battling through a series of worthy contenders, not only in its own class but also in unrelated segments, the Hyundai Elantra has triumphed as The Philippine’s 2011-2012 car of the year. This win marks another addition to the compact sedan’s impressive collection of awards garnered around the world.
Among its many accolades, the new Elantra was named 2012 Canadian Car of the Year, 2012 North American Car of the Year and South Africa’s 2012 Car of the Year. With sales meeting and even surpassing expectations in North America, the future looks bright for the Korean sedan in The Philippines.
Aside from the prestigious Car of the Year title, here are the winners of the individual categories of contention:
- Kia Picanto 1.0 MT (basic subcompact car)
- Suzuki Swift 1.4 AT (subcompact car)
- Hyundai Elantra 1.8 GLS AT (compact car)
- Volvo S60 T4 (luxury midsize car)
- Kia Sportage 2.0 (crossover)
- Mini Countryman S (luxury compact crossover)
- Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4×2 MT (4×2 sport-utility vehicle)
- Mitsubishi Montero Sport GT-V 4×4 AT (4×4 SUV)
- Ford Explorer V6 AWD (luxury SUV)
- Mitsubishi Strada 4×2 AT (4×2 pickup truck)
- Mitsubishi Strada 4×4 AT (4×4 pickup truck)